Indian startup ecosystem saw a spike in investors’ interest in funding. The last two years have been quite phenomenal for the growth of Indian startups. Around 25 startup startups have earned unicorn status in the last 24 months. The year 2021 is extraordinary for Indian startups. Thirteen startups crossed $1 billion in valuations in the last four and half months.
Overall, the Indian startup ecosystem has reached a half-century of unicorns. Here is the list and key facts about those 50 unicorn startups:
2021 Indian Unicorns
50. Moglix: the startup got the unicorn status recently. It is a B2B e-commerce platform based in Noida. The latest financial round has helped the firm to cross $1 billion valuations.
49. Urban Company: it is a platform to find the right person for your home services including carpenters, electricians, hairstylists, etc. In general, Urban Company operates in metropolitan cities. The startup has a valuation of approximately $2 billion.
48. Chargebee: the startup provides a subscription-based solution for your online products or services. Recently, it has crossed $1.4 billion in valuations.
47. Gupshup: the startup is a platform based on messaging services. As a client, you can take different messaging services from Gupshup to interact with your customers and other stakeholders. The firm has a total valuation of $1.4 billion.
46. ShareChat: it is a social media platform for interaction purposes. In a recent funding round, Sharechat has reached a $2.1 billion valuations.
45. Groww: the fintech startup provides you investment and mutual fund-related opportunities. It got unicorn membership with a $1 billion valuations.
44. Pharmeasy: the startup helps to order medicines and other medical instruments online. It is a Mumbai-based startup with a $1.5 billion valuations.
43. Cred: it helps you to pay credit card bills online with the reward system. It is a Mumbai-based startup that has a total valuation of $2.2 billion.
42. Meesho: It is a Banglore-based social commerce platform that is revolutionizing the entrepreneurship journey of women. It has its head office in Banglore and has surpassed a $2.1 billion valuations.
41. Five Star Business Finance: the startup provides loans and other financial services to small businesses. With a head office in Chennai, it crossed a $1.4 billion valuations in 2021.
40. Infra.Market: it is a marketplace to provide construction materials to its clients in India and abroad. Infra is based in Thane and has a valuation of more than $1 billion.
39. Innovaccer: the healthcare startup helps its clients in Data Analytics related to different diseases, and illness patterns of the patients. With over $1.3 billion valuations, it has established itself as one of the pioneers in the healthcare ecosystem.
38. Digit Insurance: this was the first unicorn of 2021. It provides general insurance-related services to people. This Bangalore-based startup has a total valuation of $1.9 billion.
2020 Indian Unicorns
37. FirstCry: it is an E-Commerce platform based on kids’ products. The firm is very popular due to its variety of products based on kids. FirstCry has a total valuation of $2.1 billion.
36. Glance: the startup provides news and other informative content to its users. The company has a valuation of $1 billion. It operates from Bangalore.
35. Dailyhunt: this is also a content-based startup that provides news in different local languages. Recently, the Bangalore-based Dailyhunt has got a lot of popularity due to the wide range of contents available on its platform. It has a $1 billion valuations.
34. Zenoti: the firm offers SaaS to its clients for managing their Salon & Spa. Zenoti has its base in Hyderabad. It stands strong with a total valuation of $1 billion.
33. Cars24: the used cars buying and selling startup became a unicorn member in November 2020 with a total valuation of $1 billion. The startup is Gurugram based.
32. RazorPay: this fintech startup has made business-to-business payment transfer and receiving very easy. It is growing exponentially with time. Now, it has reached a total valuation of $3 billion.
31. Zerodha: it is largest retail stockbroker platform in India. In June, 2020, it got unicorn status with a valuation of over $1 billion. Zerodha has its registered office in Bangalore.
30. Unacademy: this Bangalore-based Edtech startup has revolutionized the online education environment with quality content and cost-effective packages. The startup has a total valuation of $2 billion. It has its head office in Banglore.
29. Postman: the SaaS-based startup has created a platform for API Development & Testing. It allows developers to collaborate remotely for projects. It has over $2 billion valuations with a head office in Bangalore.
28. Nykaa: the startup is one of the most popular E-Commerce fashion brands. It operates from Mumbai head office and has a total valuation of $1 billion.
27. Pine Labs: the startup provides POS terminals and other analytical tools for its customers. In a recently concluded financial round in May 2021, it had surpassed a $3 billion valuations. Pine Labs operates from Noida.
2019 Indian Unicorns
26. Lenskart: the startup sells eyewear online and offline. It has crossed $1.5 billion valuations. Lenskart operates from Bangalore.
25. Ola Electric: it is a subsidiary of Ola. Recently, it has announced one of the biggest electric scooter manufacturing units in India. The startup has a total valuation of $1.1 billion with a head office in Bangalore.
24. Citius: The startup provided IT solutions to healthcare clients. It has grown rapidly to reach a valuation of $1.1 billion. Citius handles its operations from Mumbai.
23. Icertis: the startup provides contract management-related services based on AI algorithms. With a headquarter in Pune, it has crossed a $2.8 billion valuation in March 2021 with a new financing round.
22. Druva: it is a software-based firm that provides data security and cloud services to its clients. Recently, it reached a $2 billion valuations with the latest funding round in April 2021. It operates from Pune.
21. Rivigo: it is one of the fastest and secure cargo services in India. It has a total valuation of $1.05 billion. Rivigo operates from Gurugram.
20. BigBasket: the startup is one of the biggest online grocery providers in India. It is valued at around $1.85 billion. BigBasket has a head office in Bangalore.
19. Dream11: the startup is one of the popular online gaming platforms in India. In a short period of time, it has surpassed $5 billion in valuations. Dream11 operates from Mumbai.
18. Delhivery: the startup is a popular name among the logistics Services providers in India. The startup is planning to go for its IPO with a valuation of $3.2-4 billion. Delhivery has its head office in Gurugram.
2018 Indian Unicorns
17. BillDesk: it is the fintech organization that provides payment services to business firms. The company handles its operations from the Mumbai head office. It has a total valuation of $1.8 billion.
16. Freshworks: it is a SaaS-based startup that provides customer relationship management(CRM) solutions to its customers. The Chennai-based startup has more than $3.5 billion in valuations.
15. Udaan: it is a B2B E-Commerce platform with a total valuation of $3.1 billion. The firm operates from its Bangalore head office.
14. Oyo Rooms: the startup provides an online cost-effective hotel booking service in India. It has crossed a valuation of $8.4 billion. Oyo is based in Gurugram.
13. PolicyBazaar: the startup has brought exceptional changes in the insurance field due to its online offerings. This Gurugram based startup has over $2.4 billion valuations with the latest funding round in March 2021.
12. Swiggy: the online food delivery platform has crossed a valuation of $5 billion. And it operates from Banglore head office.
11. Paytm Mall: it is a subsidiary of Paytm and a growing E-Commerce platform. The Noida-based startup has crossed $3 billion in valuations.
10. Byju’s: the edtech firm is the most valued startup in India with over $16.5 billion. It is Bangalore based online education company.
2016 Indian Unicorns
9.** Shopclues: it was an e-commerce platform with a total valuation of $1.1 billion at the time of unicorn status. Later, Japan-based e-commerce firm Qoo10 acquired it. Earlier, it used to operate from Gurugram. Since, it was later merged with other firm, experts don’t consider it in the list of Indian startups.
8. Hike: Delhi-based instant messaging platform had a valuation of $1.4 billion. Recently, it closed its operation completely in India.
2015 Indian Unicorns
7. Zomato: Gurugram based food delivery giant has over $6.4 billion valuations. Its IPO will start very soon.
**Quikr: it Is an Indian online marketplace and classified advertising platform, Headquartered in Bangalore, India. It had a valuation of over $1.6 billion at the time of unicorn status. Later, Swedish investor Kinnevik devalued Quikr by 12% to $885 million in 2017 annual report. That is why, it was removed from the unicorn list later.
6. Paytm: Noida-based payments-related firm is the second most valued Indian startup with a valuation of $16 billion.
5. Ola: the Banglore-based online ride firm had a total valuation of $6.7 billion. According to the report, in March 2021, this came down to around $3.3 billion as Vanguard marked down the value of its holding.
2014 Indian Unicorns
4. Snapdeal: Delhi-based E-Commerce startup is the second-biggest e-commerce company in India with a $6.5 valuation.
2012-13 Indian Unicorns
3. **Flipkart: the Indian e-commerce giant has been acquired by Walmart. Bangalore-based Flipkart has a total valuation of $23 billion. Due to its acquisition by Walmart, it is no more considered as an Indian startup.
2. Mu Sigma: the Banglore-based analytics firm has $1.5 billion valuations.
2011 Indian Unicorn
1. InMobi: it is the first unicorn of the Indian startup ecosystem. it provides mobile ad services to its customers. It is a multinational firm with a head office in Bangalore. InMobi has crossed a $15 billion valuations.